Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Magic Words

If you want or need something done by another person, how do you ask?


I need to use the phone.
I want a cup of tea.


We often speak like this, especially when we are in a hurry.
How do you feel when someone speaks like this to you?


How about this:

I need to use the phone, please.
I want a cup of tea, please.

You get a very different feeling don't you?

How about:

Could I use the phone, please.
Could I have a cup of tea, please.

Feels better?

How about:

May I use the phone, please.
May I have a cup of tea, please.

The more polite you are when you ask,
the happier the other person will be to help you,
even under the most stressful of times.

The "magic word" please does miracles.
It also has a partner: Thank you.

If you practice using these words,
you will always have a happier experience.

No comments: